Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Roman Holiday



I am trying to get a handle on the Italian way of life here. Yeah yeah yeah I know this is so stereotypical but Italians have nowhere to be and are in no hurry to get there. Mind you, I moved here from New York City where everyone works a 14 hour day and if you don't there is something seriously wrong with you. Now I am decompressing and detoxing from a completely insane hectic lifestyle to, well, weird habits like not being able to go to the store between the hours of 1:30 and 4 because the whole city shuts down. What? No 24 hour delis? Banks close at 2pm? I have to wait until 4pm to go to the hardware store if I missed the window of time in the morning? And everything is closed on Sunday? What????
My husband, who is Roman (no, he's not just Italian, he's Roman! I've been informed that there is a difference) thinks this is life, yes this is the way to live. And I have to agree it is really really sooooooooooooooooo nice and relaxing but I can't just wind down from seven years of NYC so easily. I just can't stop thinking "i am so lazy, i am so lazy, i am so lazy...." Thank God he is so understanding and such a wonderful man that he can put up with all my post-NY neuroses!

2 Comments:

Blogger sarainitaly said...

Hey! Another american expat! Have you been to expatsinitaly.com yet? Lots of fellow expats. There is a huge get together in June, down near Siena I believe. There is info about it on the site, if you are interested.

I was SO where you are now, about the differnce in the way of life. I have settled down quite a bit, thankfully. However, just today, after 4 years, I complained because I couldn't go to the store before 4pm. grrr

Anyway - ciao! Look forward to reading more on your blog.

Friday, March 31, 2006 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

The last time I was in the States, I was having reverse psychosis, if you wanna call it that. Was thinking, man i better get to the store, tomorrow is Sunday. Then was like oh that's right, i'm not in Italy at the moment. You do get used to it, but will have an occasional moment.......
Ann
http://www.blogcharm.com/amborg

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home