Tuesday, September 12, 2006

High School Reunion

Today when I came home from work and opened my mailbox there was an envelope waiting for me. A big red envelope. Immediatley I knew it was for me and from the U.S. I instantly recognized the handwriting and was somewhat suprised until I saw "15 year reunion" on the return address. My stomach dropped and I thought "but how did they find me?"
It's my 15 year high school reunion. I feel so old. I never went to my 10 year reunion and due to long distances and a short cash flow I won't be attending my 15 year reunion either.

But I want to know how they found me.

I have changed so many addresses in the last 5 years let alone a whole new continent and time zone. How do they know? I'm not in contact with anyone from my high school days. Not that I didn't meet some really fun friends but we all kinda went our separate ways. And to be quite honest, I don't have many fond memories of high school. That's when my dad died and my mom went kinda nuts for a year (I love her to death anyways. Can't even immagine losing my husband. It was hard enough losing my father). That's the first time I ever traveled to Europe (with my French Class). The first time I smoked pot (don't worry I didn't inhale), and the first time I, well...you get the idea.
Remember those akward mouth-full-of-braces kisses? Football games, homecoming queens, detentions, the fights in the hall and everyone would yell "FIGHT!!!" and scramble to get a front row view of the soon to be talked about/ever so cool drama that unfolded. The art teacher who would smoke cigarettes with us out back where the principal couldn't see. The Cure, Madonna, New Order, U2, INXS, Depeche Mode....does anyone remember 2LiveCrew or Salt n' Pepa? That was high school. Cheerleaders and choir- those were the popular kids. Band and debate club-those were the nerdy kids. Crappy cafeteria food (frito pie anyone?). And I used a typewriter for all my term papers (GASP!) And to think I didn't even use a computer until I went to the university.

I am old.

No. No thanks. Don't want to relive it don't want to think about it. And I know this sounds horrible but I really don't want to "catch up" with anyone I knew from high school. I am such a different person now and I wouldn't even know where to begin to explain how I've come to where I am. Besides the fact that it just feels like a b-movie casting call. Doesn't this end up in a bloody mess with the prom queen's head as a centerpiece? Nah. Not for me. Not unless Tim Burton is directing, then you can count me in.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Avery.

You are so funny! I remember EXACTLY what you're talking about. I guess we're both old. It's interesting that they knew where to find you. My 15 year reunion will be next year and I doubt that will send me an invitation, and I'm only in NJ. But I am fine with that. :) How long have you lived in Rome now? Is it everything you expected it to be?

Good luck with everything.

Friday, September 15, 2006 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Aver-ina,

Great post! Didn't go to my 10 year and don't think there will be a 15-yr. but if so, it's coming in a couple years. So I'm right there with ya. Living in Rome is always a good excuse for not attending!
Ciao bella!

Monday, September 18, 2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

LOL. I went to my 10th and it was bizarre. The women looked great but all the hot guys looked bananas! Esp. the ex-jocks. I was on of the few single people. Now I think I am the only single person from my class. I missed the last one, being in Los Angeles. I do miss the town I grew up in a little bit (I appreciate it more as an adult) but I can always throw on The Boss, Run DMC and Bon Jovi to feel at home again.

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home