Sunday, March 19, 2006

Italians and their cellphones

We went to this great dinner party last night in Parioli. It was a beautiful flat in a beautiful neighborhood with really great food and lots of wine. Everyone was having a nice time and the conversations were flowing when a friend of ours pulls out his cell phone to check his messages. At this point every other male in the room takes out their cell phone and starts to check their messages too. ( I'm not trying to be sexist here but this is what I observed because not one woman pulled out her cell to check it.) This is such a strange phenomenon.
Then everyone begins sharing their cell phone pictures with the rest of the table. The new nephew, the photos of friends, flying in a cesna, work, etc. etc. Then we go through all the different ringtones. Which ones are cool which ones are not, which ones they would like to have, and this goes on for about 20 minutes. After this they proceed to play games with their mobiles by taking two cell phone, disabling the caller ID and calling two random numbers out of each phone's contacts/directory. In other words there are two strangers talking to each other via cell phone and each one is saying "pronto?" "pronto?" "chi e?".
So I'm at one end of the table laughing hystericaly with an English girlfriend of mine because we just can't understand why Italians are so fascinated with their mobiles. I've been told that lots of them have 2 or 3 different phones, one for work, one for family, one for friends. This is incredible! And to think I always just thought my husband was one of those people who liked to talk on the phone. I used to make fun of him saying he's worse than a teenage girl. But then I remember not even I was that obsessed with the telephone when I was a teenager. Hmmmm....

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Once flying back to the States, had a short layover in London. While everyone was getting off the plane in London, two Italian guys stand right in the middle of of the isle, just standing there, turning on their cell phones, checking messages etc., holding the rest of the plane up. I had to run the way it was to catch my next flight, so I said loud enough for them to hear, in Italian, are you getting off the plane!?!?!?
Ann
http://www.blogcharm.com

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home