Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ann Richards


I just found out Ann Richards died last night. She was the governer of Texas during my University days who unfortunately only served one term and was defeated by George Bush jr in 1994.

"Former Gov. Ann Richards, who opened the doors of state government to women and minorities and won national celebrity with her lively humor and Texas twang, died Wednesday night at her home. She was 73." -DallasNews.com

She was very outspoken and very liberal in a male dominated Texas government. In fact, she inspired several of my college classmates to enter politics because she was the first woman in a long time (ever?) to enter the political arena in a very Republican, white male patriarchal system and she really shook things up. Well, at least she paved the way for other women and people of minority descent to enter this realm of politics. As much as I miss my home, really, Texas can be very conservative and provincial.
She was one cool chick and I will remember her fondly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I also went to Texas (A&M) for university...during W's days, though. From California originally, at first I thought it was fun being "different" but later I realized that I had had such a different upbringing and viewpoint than so many that I then worked hard to find some very cool and open people bred and raised there. I valued them that much more!

Sounds a bit like dejavù being here in Italy. :)

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Although that campaign was brutal, I will never forget the year I spent in Texas working for Ann. I'm glad I got to travel and spend time in a different part of the country. I met so many incredible people.

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home