Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

My husband asked me to cut his toenails last night. We were lying in bed chatting winding down from our day when he popped the question. I'm not kidding. He said "Could you cut my toenails for me?"
Eeeew!
I was aghast and just stared at him mouth agape and eyes blinking. I was at a loss for words as my mind was churning trying to figure out why he would ask me that. Was he just too tired? Was he feeling ill? I mean if he was bed-ridden with the flu or in the hospital or something then, yeah, ok. I would probably do it if it would make him feel better. If for some reason he couldn't reach his feet...maybe his back went out...then perhaps I would. But he's perfectlly able and healthy and he just asked out of the blue.
As much as I love him, it's just gross.
Turns out he was joking (I should have known) but stretched it out as long as he could to see what my reaction would be. And you know what I said? "well, you know I really love you and I would do anything for you but, um, well, I'd have to wash my hands afterwards." Not exactly a smooth excuse but better than "no f***ing way!". I finally got the joke after he burst out laughing.
ha ha. very funny. Oh how I love thee...

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Averina, (sorry but since you live in Rome too, I feel compelled to give you an Italian nickname like they've given me, Shellina),

You had me laughing out loud on this one. I think our hubbies (mine, future, ie, March) should get together because they are just so "funny." As Ale always says after mistaking me for his stand-up comedy audience: "scherzetto!" Yeah right, mister.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Corrie said...

just came across your blog for the first time...that's hilarious that your husband asked you to cut his toenails! my husband hasn't gone THAT far yet...

-Jackie (in Macerata)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Mine has...ughh. Thats what happens after 21 years of marriage!!!

Shirley

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:00:00 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

The cutting of toenails is just the tip of the iceberg around here. Married two years and I've heard it all - down to, "Hey, look how long my nosehairs are!" and "Something hurts on my back, can you get rid of it". Yeah, you know what "it" is. GNARLY!!!

I think these boys are taking the "in sickness and in health" part of the vows to seriously. Sickness means ILLNESS, not grossness.

Found you through Shellina (hehe), love reading along on the blog.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home