Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Espresso kicks butt!

It's official.
I am addicted to espresso.
I have always loved coffee ever since I was 13 and started driving and smoking (way too young for any of those things, I know, but I thought I was oh so sophisticated). Well, now I don't smoke - and in Italy that's an anomaly, don't drive - I am patiently saving my money to buy a vespa but for now I rely on public transportation and the good graces of my husband and his moto, but boy do I love my coffee.
In the US I drank espresso but usually I preferred to linger over a nice home brewed cup o' joe and read the newspaper. But since meeting my husband I have streamlined my coffee habits to a shot here and there. In Italy people don't linger over coffee. They have a quick espresso and then they're on their way. It took a bit of getting used to but I think I have mastered the art of espresso. Short, sweet, and strong. That's how I like it.
And I drink way too much but, mamma mia, it is good.
Two shots in the morning, one after lunch, one around 4pm and sometimes, but only sometimes when I'm working I'll have another in the evening. Of course I am very careful about eating lots of cheese, gelato and other calcium sources to counteract any vitamin depletion I might be subjecting myself to. But I just can't stop. I can't wake up without it. The sign of a true addict.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

...She wrote, hands shaking from caffeine overload... You're right up there with the Romans...I once read that the average Roman drinks 6 espressos (espressi?) a day.

The only problem with espresso addiction for a US expat is when they go back to the States and face the sticker shock of a "single-shot espresso" at any espresso place. Not to mention the inevitable question: "Just a single shot?" (as if it were sacrilege not to add a gallon of milk, caramel and chocolate syrup, and whipped cream!)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger avery said...

Shelley, just like you said - I could never order an espresso with caramel or vanilla syrup in Rome, although I have (shh..don't tell anyone) in the US. They would laugh me right out of the bar. I guess that's why you don't see any Starbucks here in Italy. The whole concept just doesn't go over well. And I'm not looking forward to that $2 tab for my morning fix when I visit home. Guess I'll have to take a moka back home with me!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

Hi, yes, I'm commenting on all your posts today. Stalker!

Thanks to my Roman hosts (Shelley and her fiance, Ale) I'm horribly addicted to espresso now. Yes, me, Ms. I only drink tea.

Admission: I bought a Mokka. And I'm drinking an espresso right now.

We're hooked!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the caffe latte here in Italy. WITHOUT added flavors.

Friday, November 03, 2006 8:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home