Thursday, March 22, 2007

In the doghouse

Woe is the woman with a sick dog.
Cleaning up doggy throw-up is not nice.
ugh.
stinky stinky wet stinky yuck.
But someone's gotta do it and the hubby sure ain't lifting a finger. Turns out Otto our dog is fine, nothing serious just a mal di gola (soar throat). The strange thing is though the vet prescribed an antibiotic (for animals) and bisolvin which is a cough syrup for humans. And I bought both of them at a regular ol' farmacia.
It seems to me, if I remember correctly, in the United States we bought medicine for animals directly from the vet, not Duane Reade or Eckerd's pharmacy. People medicine and pet medicine were bought and dealt with in two very different places. And I just can't see a US vet advising to give cough syrup to a dog, but hey, maybe. I guess it probably happens.
Anyhow, the dog is feeling much better and so are we.
Just for the record, our vet here in Rome is super. Better than any vet I've had in the US. She is so helpful and nice and of course gives Otto the best care possible.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I thought this was weird at first too. I have two cats adopted from a shelter so at first they were both sick with colds and we gave them "people" cold syrup too, just dosed-down for their weight, and it worked. I've found vet care in Rome to be no-nonsense (ie, no fancy waiting rooms, receptionists, appointments, etc.) but fantastic.

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Texas Espresso said...

well i am currently giving my cat 1/2 of a baby aspirin every 3 days - so who knows =) Hope your dog is better!

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger avery said...

Yes he's feeling much better, thanks. I guess if it works on us it works on them too, only at a lesser dose of course.
And Shelley, I completely agree with you. our current vet here in Rome is so great, better than any I've had in the states, and like you said, no nonsense just great care and service.

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home