Sunday, December 31, 2006

Buon Anno

Wishing everyone a happy 2007! Aguri e buon anno.
A few Italian traditions for the New Year:
1. eat a bowl of lentils (lenticchie) for good luck and financial security. Each lentil represents a coin for the coming year.
2. Wear red for good luck.
2a. A friend from work is from Campagna near Naples and she told me to buy red underwear/lingerie to wear on NYE. The next day burn it for good luck. T laughed when I told him I was determined to find some red underwear to burn for the new year. Apparently this isn't a custom for Romans. And since I couldn't find anything for under 10euro I decided to abondon this idea.
3. Take something old and at midnight throw it behind your back (off the balcony is best). If it breaks it means good fortune for you, if not it's bad luck.
4. Kiss everyone in your vicinity at midnight because it's just a really nice thing to do.

Baci to all and Happy New Year!

5 Comments:

Blogger avery said...

Oh and I forgot to add
Drink LOTS of CHAMPAGNE! That's not particulary Italian per se but I do love the bubbly.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger Delina said...

I know the one about wearing red underwear, but not about burning it!
Have a fantastic 2007!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Happy New Year, Avery! If I'd know sooner about the red underwear I cold have burned the red bra I bought at the dollar store during our summer vacation. :-)

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Happy New Year Avery! I am a big fan of the bubbly myself.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Hey Avery--missed ya! I'm back and about to get back on the blogging bandwagon. Just wondering, maybe your coworker knows--I heard that people in Campania (specifically Naples) have been known to throw literally the kitchen sink off a balcony--falls into the category of old, right? Stikes me as a bit dangerous. But visually amusing for sure. Ah, those wacky Italians!!

Saturday, January 06, 2007 5:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home