Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm on Italian time

Since I've been riding my bike - correction: my husband's bike, I haven't bought a new one yet after mine was stolen - I have noticed lots of clocks in the center of Rome. There is probably a clock on every block from Porta Pia to Piazza Cavour. Now you might think this is a great idea. That's what I thought at first because I am not really a watch person and it's sometimes annoying having to fish my cellphone from the depths of my purse to figure out the time. Well, in Rome, there are hundreds of clocks on the street but no two tell the same time. I kid you not.
On my way to work this morning I passed a clock that said 10 minutes to ten. I freaked out thinking "I'm gonna be late! I'm gonna be late!" peddalling furiously only to pass another clock that said 3:15. The next one said 10 minutes to 9 and the one after that read 9:35.
Go figure.
I wish I would have taken a video camera with me this morning because I felt a little like I was in a Fellini movie.
That's when I realized "ah ha!" This is the essence of Italy.
Rome transcends time.
It is after all the capital of western civilization's greatest empire. I am riding my bike on the same streets that Ceasar and Pompeo walked through. Nero and Ottaviano and Leonardo and Michaelangelo. Totti for crying out loud (teehee! that was a joke). The city is brimming with history. And thousands and thousands of years of millions of people. Rome doesn't need to keep the clocks in order and up to date because the city is timeless. And that's the reason the busses and trains are NEVER on time. I used to think it was because they were probably taking a caffe or they just preferred to take their own sweet time driving through the streets but now I realize it's because they transcend time.
Okay enough of my soapbox.
here's a few photos I took on my way home from work today. I especially like the subtley of the yellow flowers growing amongst these massive marble sculptures.




7 Comments:

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Okay is that area about Piazzo del Popolo? I love that neighborhood.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I meant to say above. oops

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger avery said...

nyc- you guessed it! All the photos are from Piazza del Popolo. I like it too...though it gets pretty crowded. There is even a huge obelisk in the middle but it's being renovated so I didn't take a pic.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Shirley said...

I noticed all the clocks were wrong too the other day while running up Via Nazionale to catch the train.Luckily they were all wrong and I wasn't late as I had previously thought.

Shirley

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Great post. And weren't a few still an hour off, seeing as how we changed daylight savings time a few weeks ago? Who is the official clock-changer for Rome? That must be some job.
PS Your Totti joke? I laughed at it.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

And, duh. Forgot to tell you... beautiful photos.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh that would never fly in rural Calabria where our clocks chime every fifteen minutes....

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home