Friday, November 10, 2006

M.I.A.

*Sigh* My blue bike is missing in action.
*sigh*
I left the house this morning on my way to work when I realized my baby was gone. I knew where I parked her and she wasn't there yet I vainly scoured the street thinking perhaps I left it further down?
I knew it would happen eventually but I ignored all the warning signs. The fact that my lock was a cheap version and I made a mental note to get a better one soon. The fact that I diligently locked the easily removable tire to the bike body fearing someone might steal it. (This happened to me once in new york and I never made the same mistake twice). The fact that the first week I had her I would bring the seat with me inside for fear that someone would steal that. Everyone laughed at me saying, "silly girl, no one in Rome is interested in taking bicycle parts. It's motorinos they're after." Wrong. And I would always laugh oh, well, I lived in nyc where people steal anything and everything so it's just a habit for me.
Apparently my paranoia attracted the theives because last night they singled her out. There were only five other bikes parked near mine, including my husband's which is a twin copy of mine only male and yellow but same lock and style. And to top it off there was a red bike with those super heavy industrial thick "nobody can touch me" chains that was parked EXACTLY where I left my bike last night. Talk about adding salt to the wound. It was if it were mocking me for being so careless as to leave a cheapie old lock on my bike. "ha ha! if you would have bought this earlier you would still have a bike!" it smirked at me.
So I took the autobus this morning and of course I was late to work. And by the way, every autobus I've ever been on in Rome stinks really bad. Like a dirty diaper.
I am hopefully going to go to Porta Portese this Sunday which is a famous outdoor market in Rome that happens every Domenica. My other baby, Toni, told me I could probably find a cheap (probably stolen) bike there...not as nice as my lost one but a working one anyhow. Wish me luck in finding a sturdy replacement.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ebony and Ivory said...

What a coincidence, I just watched The Bicycle Theif last night. Oh well, what can you do? Hopefully Karma will get the bastard and they crash into a wall or something. I hope you find a nice bike at Porta Portese.

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger dmarie said...

I know what that is like. Had my bike stolen when I lived in Washington DC. I'm sorry for you :(

Saturday, November 11, 2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

My husband had his stolen on Wednesday! His was stolen from outside his office, we are also going to an outdoor market to buy him a replacent bike this weekend, good luck!

Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

ARRRRGH!! And to think I just met your baby in person the other day! It's injust, I tell you, ingiusto! The dirty diaper comment had me laughing out loud though. At least you're managing to keep a sense of humor. I'd come over to meet you at Porta Portese for bike-hunting, you'll be right by my house, but I'm out of town tomorrow. :-( Good luck!

Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:52:00 PM  
Blogger avery said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. Lots of coinicidences with the bikes! Btw, I love that movie the bicycle thief.
And Shelley you and I were just laughing the night before it was stolen about yor helmet experiences while riding a bike in Rome and the crazy traffic here etc. etc. What luck I have.
Celia and dmarie, sorry to hear about your (and celia's hubby's) stolen bikes. It sucks doesn't it?
I never made it to Porta Portese this morning because of the rain. oh well, maybe another time. For now I'll be bussing it. bummer.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Sorry to hear about your bike. :(

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 5:11:00 PM  
Blogger Tea said...

Sorry also to hear about your missing bike. I had one stolen once years ago and it`s so maddening. Good luck finding another.

tea
xo

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home