Sunday, December 17, 2006

uovo sbattuto





Literally this means smashed, or beated egg. T made this lovely concoction this morning for breakfast.
Recipe:
2 raw eggs
40 tsp of sugar, more or less according to how sweet you like it

Beat egg with sugar enthusiastically until heartrate is well above resting rate for 2 minutes.



For me, raw eggs and sugar are prime heart attack material but for Italians like my husband they are considered breakfast during your childhood years. Apparantly he ate this religiously between the ages of 6 and 12 because it was considered *good* for you. Raw eggs=protein. Sugar=energy. As a former vegetarian (ahem, vegan for 2 years) I have a really hard time believing this is good for anyone, let alone children. Needless to say I was slightly aghast when he concocted this up for breakfast this morning. But then again, who am I to judge? They say the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest on the planet. Although I'm not sure this falls into that category....

9 Comments:

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I tried the raw egg thing during high school. I can't remember why, something to do with sports. I thought it was unpleasent. I will stick to cooked eggs. :)

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugghhhh!! I found this little ditty in a medical encylopedia at work. (always the Librarian) Perhaps the sugar cancels out the bacteria.

"Sources of Salmonella
Contaminated foods, such as raw meat, poultry and eggs that have not been cooked properly, are the most common source of the disease."

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not the whole egg, it's just the YOLK plus sugar. It's like zabaglione but without the liquor and it's dee-licious on buttered toast!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger avery said...

yes, it's true it's just the yolk plus sugar. However my hubby likes to eat it straight up with a spoon. He loves it - I don't really like the taste of eggs so it's kinda yucky for me.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I have had this, too....Sante's mom gets the egg direct from the "source" and therefore greatly reduce the risk of salmonella :) It's pretty good.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

put it in coffee - that's what we do!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This it how I had it as a child and also this morning. Beat a raw egg yolk only , no white, with a tablespoon of sugar until it lighten in color and doubled in volume. Add a capful of Marsala or dark rum. Add a shot of espresso and then fill mug with hot milk. The hot milk and coffee will cook the egg. Ive had this for over 40 years. And as a child , along with toast it was a delicious breakfast.

Friday, November 08, 2013 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Read "We Want to Live" and "The Recipe for Living Without Diseases", both by Aajonus Vonderplanitz and stop fearing raw animal foods!!

Monday, January 24, 2022 5:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you hear this from media and media targeting us .My father always made raw egg yolk with sugar everytime I was I’ll.He always said that his mother use to do it for him .I am not Italian I am from Poland.Now we know why eggs are considered bad for us!!!!!Big pharma knows eggs are cheap and give us good health something that big pharma don’t like

Wednesday, December 07, 2022 8:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home