Thursday, April 19, 2007

La bici vs. il motorino

In the past week since my other half broke his arm in a bicycling accident there have been at least 15 people (and I'm not exaggerating) who offered their advice that a motorino is way more safe than a bicycle. This includes 3 people from my work, the owners of my other half's work, the pet store owner, the vetrinarian, the neighborhood motorino mechanic, our friendly supermarket check-out girl and various friends and neighbors.
It's nice that they offer their condolences and put in their two cents worth (mainly that the motorists of Rome don't respect the bicyclists on the street... yeah, duh!) but I just can't quite agree with them. Am I wrong? Should I break down and buy a motorino and become a true Roman?
Like I mentioned in the previous post I have seen so many scooter accidents since I've moved to Rome and a few months ago a friend of a friend's father died in one. Is it really safer than a bike?
What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kataroma said...

I know it's tempting when you live in Rome and public transport is so bad/nonexistent - but I really think motorini are dangerous. Bikes are dangerous too though! So I guess you can't win.

My Italian friends think I'm crazy for not owning a motorino but I've had three friends have serious motorino accidents and I'm just not willing to risk it.

Luckily I live in Esquilino so I can walk or take the metro everywhere. Not sure where you are...

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger nikinpos said...

Italians love to give advice to us 'stranieri' because we are so ignorant of the right way to do things in their country.
I have always cycled when in Rome, it is much better that a motorino. You can't take a motorino through the parks.
And if you get knocked off a bicycle you've got less risk of breaking bones if it lands on you than if a motorino landed on you. It is also healthier to cycle and green too!

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never get a vehicle if I lived in Rome. NEVER! I'd much rather cycle.

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moved here ten years ago and only used a motorino or motorcycle to get around town. Now with two kids we've got two cars. But you have to remember that people in Italy have scooters from the time they are 14. Here in Rome they don't have the bicycle culture as many cities do up north. People look out for scooters , not bicycles. We cycle regularly with my kids (with flags and bright gear!) on the roads here and I feel safe but only because I know a bit about the Italian driving mentality and can anticipate what people will do. Bottom line: be careful with any mode of transport you use. Bike and drive wisely.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I had a bike for a while here and although I was the only person wearing a helmet, I still think that relatively speaking I would have been safer on a motorino, for two reasons: mirrors and turn signals. But anon has a good point about how Italians get used to scooters at an early age. I've had Italians tell me that it's risky to learn how to drive a scooter once you're our age. So, the official answer is a big, fat BOH! :-)

Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't do. This is my two cents worth.

1) There are too many motorini in Rome
2) You are going either to kill yourself or to learn driving like crazy (which could led you to kill yourself anyway)
3) Believe me: you don't have to put your life at risk to become "a true Roman"

Non lo fare, tieni la tua bici!

Ciao.
Andrea

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home