Saturday, April 21, 2007

Il lampione dell'amore


Oh, the weight of love.
Last week the lamp of Ponte Milvio fell down! Literally broke in two due to all the weight of the locks.
You can read more about it from Shelley over at At Home in Rome who recently wrote a nice post about the locks of Ponte Milvio. Or check out the article on corriere della sera.
I guess all of Rome decided to put a lock on the lamp after the movie "Ho Voglio di Te" came out. I think the movie single-handedly revived the interest of declaring your love by placing a lock on the lamp and tossing the key into the Tevere.
That's a lot of love (and a ton of locks).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh damnit. i was just in rome last weekend, I HAD read that post by shelley, and i completely forgot to see this site. i'm so mad at myself!

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

OMG, see what happens when I leave Rome for a month?! Holy crap! Should I feel guilty for thinking this is slightly funny? Glad no one was hurt... that would be one hell of a story. "See, I was walking over this bridge in Rome, and the next thing I knew...covered in locks!" Only in Rome.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh wow, that's awful. But I suppose it was bound to happen some time. Think all the lovers will go back and try to retrieve their locks?

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home